10 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Kidney Failure
If you were recently diagnosed with kidney failure, ask your doctor these questions at your next visit.
- What caused my kidney failure?
- Do I have hypertension, diabetes, or other disorders that may worsen my kidney failure?
- If I have an acute kidney problem, do you expect me to recover, and how long might that take?
- If my kidney problem is chronic, how long can I continue without dialysis, or will I ever need dialysis?
- What type of dialysis do you recommend?
- Am I a good candidate for a kidney transplant?
- What dietary changes do I need to make during treatment or recovery?
- Do I need to make any other lifestyle changes?
- Do I have anemia or any other complications?
- How can those complications be treated?