Maintain good personal hygiene by washing your skin with soap and water regularly.
- Take care to avoid nicking yourself when shaving your underarms or pubic area.
- Seek immediate medical attention for any puncture wounds, especially if:
- You think there may be some debris in the wound
- You have one of the listed medical conditions
- You are on steroids or chemotherapy
Once treated, the abscess should heal.
- Many people do not require antibiotics.
- The pain often improves immediately and subsides more each day.
- Wound care instructions from your doctor may include wound repacking, soaking, washing, or bandaging for about 7 to 10 days. This usually depends on the size and severity of the abscess.
- After the first 2 days, drainage from the abscess should be minimal to none. All sores should heal in 10-14 days.
Synonyms and Keywords
abscess, abscesses, boils, carbuncles, furuncles, hidradenitis suppurativa, pilonidal abscess, pustules, whiteheads