Candid Candidate: Barack Obama
WebMD asked all the presidential candidates eight questions about how health
affects them, from guilty pleasures to defining moments. While Barack Obama has
not yet responded to those questions, here are some health issues he or his
family has faced.
- Feeling pressure from his wife, Obama resolved to quit smoking during the
winter 2006 holidays. He told the Chicago Tribune that he had been
"chewing Nicorette strenuously" in an effort to kick the habit.
- Obama revealed in his 1995 memoir Dreams From My Father that he
tried cocaine and smoked marijuana as a teenager.
- He enjoys playing basketball.
- His mother, Ann Dunham, died of ovarian cancer at age 53.
- Obama's wife, Michelle, was, until recently, the vice president of
community and external affairs at the University of Chicago Medical
Information compiled by Elisabeth Bergman and Patrick Adams.