Candidate Profile: Barack Obama
- Leave Medicare intact.
- Change Medicare’s drug insurance program, known as Medicare Part D, to
lower costs and the number of plans (the large number of plans have made
decisions more confusing for some people).
- Mandate that Part D drug discounts and prices be negotiable (under current
law the government is not allowed to negotiate lower prices with pharmaceutical
- Expand eligibility for Medicaid and State Children’s Health Insurance
Program (SCHIP) to cover more families and workers.
- Expand research on human embryonic stem cells that were created for
fertility treatments and would otherwise be discarded.
- Support continued research on adult stem cell use and umbilical cord blood
Public Health Issues
- Strengthen public health efforts both for protection from disasters and
- Combat obesity, especially in children.
- Eliminate junk food in school vending machines and make school lunches
- Fight AIDS worldwide.
- Supports Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court decision that legalized
- Leave women free to decide on so-called “partial-birth abortion”
(technically a late-term abortion. A ban on the procedure was upheld by the
Supreme Court in April).
- Reduce teen pregnancy.
Information compiled by Michele Foust.