Facial Problems, Noninjury
The following home treatment measures may help prevent sinusitis:
- Use a humidifier to keep the air in your home moist.
- Treat colds promptly. Blow your nose gently. Do not close one nostril when blowing your nose.
- Drink extra fluids when you have a cold. This helps keep mucus thin and draining.
- Do not drink alcohol. It makes the tissues lining your nose and sinuses swell up.
- Do not smoke or use other tobacco products. Smokers are more prone to sinusitis. Also, avoid secondhand smoke. For more information, see the topic Quitting Smoking.
- Use a decongestant nasal spray before or during airplane flights, especially during landing.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
June 04, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Facial Problems, Noninjury Topics