Take Cover When Heat Is High
Get tips on how to prevent heat exhaustion, heat cramps, and heatstroke.
Dos and Don'ts for Extreme Heat continued...
- Drink ice-cold drinks; they can cause stomach cramping.
- Leave any people or animals in a closed car.
- Take salt tablets unless the doctor says so.
- Assume you are immune to heat outside just because you work in a hot
environment like a bakery or pizza parlor. The damage can accumulate through
- Fanatically insist on your usual jogging or exercise routine, thinking the
danger is not real.
- Skimp on water. If you are outside a lot in even 90 degrees, you can lose a
half gallon of water in 10 minutes.
Staying safe in high temperatures is relatively simple: Don't take chances
when Mother Nature is turning up the heat.