Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
- What are your main symptoms? How long have you
had your symptoms? What was happening in your life when your symptoms
- Have you had this problem before? If so, do you know what
caused the problem at that time? How was it treated?
activities make your symptoms better or worse?
- Do you think that
sports activities or activities related to your job or hobbies caused your
symptoms? Have you recently changed jobs, been laid off, or been fired?
- Do you have a lot of stress in your life? Have you recently had a
change in your family, such as a divorce or death of a loved
- Has anyone else in your family ever had problems with
hyperventilation or been diagnosed with an
anxiety disorder or
- What home treatment measures
have you tried? Did they help?
- What nonprescription medicines have
you tried? Did they help?
- What prescription and nonprescription
medicines do you take?
- Do you smoke or use other tobacco
- Are you using alcohol or illegal drugs, such as marijuana
or cocaine, to help manage your symptoms?
- Do you have any
While waiting for your appointment, it may be helpful to keep
diary of your symptoms(What is a PDF document?).
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
September 03, 2010
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.