Next Steps Prevention
- Keep medications where children cannot get to them.
- Childproof caps are not a guarantee that children are safe.
- Educate your children that unknown pills are not candy and can be harmful.
Full recovery is likely for children (or adults) who show no symptoms for at least 6 hours after swallowing pills. Those with symptoms may be ill and require more aggressive treatment.
- Iron poisoning can progress through several stages. A late, or hepatic stage, develops 2-5 days after ingestion. The person may have elevated liver enzymes, possibly ultimately resulting in liver failure.
- Another late stage involves gastrointestinal scarring. Some 4-6 weeks after ingestion, the final stage manifests with early satiety (fullness after eating) or nausea from GI scarring and obstruction.
Synonyms and Keywords
iron poisoning, poisoning, vitamin poisoning, iron-containing pills, vitamins with iron, poison proofing