Do not smoke. Smoking slows healing because it
decreases blood supply and delays tissue repair. For more information, see the
| Be sure to follow these
safety tips when you use a non-prescription medicine:|
- Carefully read and follow all directions
on the medicine bottle and box.
- Do not take more than the
- Do not take a medicine if you have had an
allergic reaction to it in the past.
you have been told to avoid a medicine, call your doctor before you take
- If you are or could be pregnant, do not take any medicine other
than acetaminophen unless your doctor has told you to.
- Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than age 20 unless your doctor tells you to.
Reduce stress on your leg (until you can get advice from your
- Use a cane or crutch in the hand opposite your
- Use two crutches, keeping weight off your leg. Canes
and crutches can be rented from most pharmacies. Crutches are recommended if a
cane causes you to walk with a limp.
For more information about the home treatment of problems
varicose veins, see the topic
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home
- You are unable to use your leg
- Pain or swelling develops.
- Signs of infection develop.
- Numbness; tingling; or cool, pale skin develops.
- Symptoms become more
frequent or more severe.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
February 06, 2013
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Leg Problems,Noninjury Topics