General Information About Myelodysplastic Syndromes
An International MDS Risk Analysis Workshop was convened, and the clinical data from 816 patients with primary MDS from seven previously reported studies, which used independent risk-based prognostic systems, were combined and collated. The combined data were analyzed centrally, and a global analysis was performed, which formed the basis of a new prognostic system called the International Prognostic Scoring System for MDS. In multivariate analyses, significant predictors for both survival and AML evolution included bone marrow blast percentage, number of peripheral blood cytopenias, and cytogenetic subgroup. The data are used to assign MDS patients a score, which stratifies patients into one of the following four risk groups:
- Low risk.
- High risk.
The time for the development of AML in the risk groups was 9.4 years, 3.3 years, 1.1 years, and 0.2 years, respectively. Median survival for the groups was 5.7 years, 3.5 years, 1.2 years, and 0.4 years, respectively. The system has been incorporated into clinical trial design for MDS.
- Ma X, Does M, Raza A, et al.: Myelodysplastic syndromes: incidence and survival in the United States. Cancer 109 (8): 1536-42, 2007.
- Tuncer MA, Pagliuca A, Hicsonmez G, et al.: Primary myelodysplastic syndrome in children: the clinical experience in 33 cases. Br J Haematol 82 (2): 347-53, 1992.
- Gyger M, Infante-Rivard C, D'Angelo G, et al.: Prognostic value of clonal chromosomal abnormalities in patients with primary myelodysplastic syndromes. Am J Hematol 28 (1): 13-20, 1988.
- Nand S, Godwin JE: Hypoplastic myelodysplastic syndrome. Cancer 62 (5): 958-64, 1988.
- Bennett JM, Catovsky D, Daniel MT, et al.: Proposals for the classification of the myelodysplastic syndromes. Br J Haematol 51 (2): 189-99, 1982.
- Mufti GJ, Stevens JR, Oscier DG, et al.: Myelodysplastic syndromes: a scoring system with prognostic significance. Br J Haematol 59 (3): 425-33, 1985.
- Sanz GF, Sanz MA, Vallespí T, et al.: Two regression models and a scoring system for predicting survival and planning treatment in myelodysplastic syndromes: a multivariate analysis of prognostic factors in 370 patients. Blood 74 (1): 395-408, 1989.
- Aul C, Gattermann N, Heyll A, et al.: Primary myelodysplastic syndromes: analysis of prognostic factors in 235 patients and proposals for an improved scoring system. Leukemia 6 (1): 52-9, 1992.
- Brunning RD, Bennett JM, Flandrin G, et al.: Myelodysplastic syndromes. In: Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H, et al., eds.: Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. Lyon, France: IARC Press, 2001. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours, 3, pp 61-73.
- Greenberg P, Cox C, LeBeau MM, et al.: International scoring system for evaluating prognosis in myelodysplastic syndromes. Blood 89 (6): 2079-88, 1997.