Neck Problems and Injuries
Do you have any of the following symptoms that require emergency treatment?
Call 911 or other emergency services immediately.
- Neck pain that spreads from the chest area with
symptoms of a heart attack
- Severe neck
injury, such as an injury caused by a:
- •Motor vehicle accident
from a height of 15ft or
- •Direct blow to the head or
- •High-energy blow to the top of the
- •Penetrating injury, such as a stab wound or gunshot wound
- Signs of a spinal cord injury:
- •New weakness or inability to move an arm or leg
- •New continuous numbness of one or both arms or
- •New loss of bowel or bladder control
decrease in level of consciousness:
- •Failure to respond to touch or
- •Extremely groggy, drowsy, or hard to wake
- •Extremely confused or fighting
- Signs of shock:
- A rapidly forming swelling or lump in the throat
that is causing any difficulty breathing:
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
August 13, 2009
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2010 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Neck Problems and Injuries Topics