Neck Problems and Injuries
Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the following questions:
- What are your main symptoms?
- How long have you had your symptoms?
- If you were injured, how and when did the injury occur? How was it treated?
- What were you doing at the time the neck pain started?
- Have you recently been in a fight or been slapped, punched, or strangled?
- Have you had any injuries in the past to the same area? Do you have any continuing problems because of the previous injury?
- If you have chronic neck pain, has the pain changed significantly?
- Do you have numbness or weakness in your arms or legs?
- What activities related to sports, work, or your lifestyle make your symptoms better or worse?
- Do you think that activities related to your job or hobbies caused your symptoms?
- What home treatment measures have you tried? Did they help?
- What nonprescription medicines have you taken? Did they help?
- Do you have any health risks?
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
November 14, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Neck Problems and Injuries Topics