Neck Problems and Injuries
Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
- What are your main symptoms?
- How long
have you had your symptoms?
- If you were injured, how and when did
the injury occur? How was it treated?
- What were you doing at the
time the neck pain started?
- Have you recently been in a fight or
been slapped, punched, or strangled?
- Have you had any injuries in
the past to the same area? Do you have any continuing problems because of the
- If you have chronic neck pain, has the pain
- Do you have numbness or weakness in your
arms or legs?
- What activities related to sports, work, or your
lifestyle make your symptoms better or worse?
- Do you think that
activities related to your job or hobbies caused your
- What home treatment measures have you tried? Did they
- What nonprescription medicines have you taken? Did they
- Are you using alcohol or illegal drugs, such as heroin or
marijuana, to control your pain?
- Do you have any
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
August 05, 2011
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Neck Problems and Injuries Topics