For people with
pinworm infections, home treatment is very important
to prevent reinfection and the spread of infection to other members of the
household. Good home treatment includes the following measures:
Wash hands carefully and often. Frequent
hand-washing by all family members, especially before
eating or preparing food and after using the toilet, is very important in
preventing the spread of infection. Hand-washing will help remove eggs that may
have stuck to the hands. Scrubbing your hands and fingernails for 1 minute is
Control scratching.Itching around the
anus caused by a pinworm infection usually occurs at
night. Wearing gloves may help prevent scratching.
Keep fingernails short. Pinworm eggs can get under
the fingernails when the person with a pinworm infection scratches. Cutting the
nails short may help prevent eggs from sticking under the nails. Discourage
thumb-sucking if your child has a pinworm infection.
Wash clothes and bedding. Washing underwear,
pajamas, and bedding and drying them in a heated dryer on the first day of
treatment may help prevent reinfection. Changing and washing underwear and
pajamas at least once a day may also help prevent reinfection.
Bathe carefully and every day. Make sure the skin
around the anus is cleaned when bathing. This will remove pinworm eggs. Bathing
in the morning may help get rid of a lot of the eggs. Showers may work better
than baths because there is less chance of getting water that contains pinworm
eggs into your mouth.
Do not fan the bedding of an infected person. Fanning the sheets and blankets of an infected person can
put pinworm eggs into the air. Airborne eggs can be swallowed when you breathe
through your mouth.
Some doctors recommend extra housecleaning, such as
frequent mopping and vacuuming and cleaning the toilet seat after each use, to
prevent the spread of pinworms, but other doctors do not believe that these
measures are very effective.
Cholera is an infectious disease that causes severe watery diarrhea, which can lead to dehydration and even death if untreated. It is caused by eating food or drinking water contaminated with a bacterium called Vibrio cholerae.
Cholera was prevalent in the U.S. in the 1800s before modern water and sewage treatment systems eliminated its spread by contaminated water. Only about 10 cases of cholera are reported each year in the U.S. and half of these are acquired abroad. Rarely, contaminated seafood...