Sporting equipment, such as fishing rods, balls, baseball bats and gloves, and hockey sticks.
Lawn and garden tools, such as lawn mower handles, rakes, and gardening gloves.
Clothing, shoes, gloves, pants, and footwear that have brushed against the plants.
Animal fur. Unlike people, animals do not get a rash when exposed to poison ivy. But they can easily carry the oil on their fur, where it may be spread to people who touch the animals.
Exposure to smoke. Urushiol from burning poison ivy, oak, or sumac attaches to smoke particles and can cause a rash on any part of the body.
Clothing and any other item that may have urushiol on it should be washed thoroughly. Pets who have been in areas containing poison ivy, oak, or sumac should be washed with pet shampoo to remove any oil from their fur.
Your child is bleeding heavily.
The wound is deep.
The edges of the wound are gaping.
The wound is spurting blood.
You can't stop the bleeding after 10 minutes of direct pressure.
An object has punctured the skin and is still in the body.
The cut involves the eye or the cartilage of the nose or ear.