Smart Decisions: Know Your Options
Decisions About Other Health Issues
See a list of
Decision Points about treatments and other issues. Decision Points are designed to guide you through key
health decisions, combining medical information with your personal values
to make a wise health decision.
solution to a health issue has benefits and risks. Only you can decide if the
benefits are worth the risks.
Learn the facts
- What is the solution? Get a description of
- Why does your doctor think you need to try this
- Are there other options besides this particular
- Is this solution the common treatment for this problem?
Are there other solutions to this health issue?
Use this treatment information form(What is a PDF document?) to help you.
Consider the risks and benefits
- How does your doctor think this solution will
work for you?
- What is the success rate? What does success mean to
your doctor? What does success mean to you?
- What can go wrong? How
often does this happen?
Ask about costs
- How much does the solution cost? How can you
- Are there other costs to the solution, such as equipment
Talk to your doctor
- How much does the problem really bother
- What are your concerns about the solution?
- Do you
prefer to try the solution or another way of treating the problem?
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
September 09, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Smart Decisions: Know Your Options Topics