Skip to content

    Tennis Elbow

    Font Size

    When To Call a Doctor

    Call your doctor immediately if you had an injury to your elbow and:

    • You have severe elbow pain.
    • You cannot move your elbow normally.
    • Your elbow looks deformed.
    • Your elbow begins to swell within 30 minutes of the injury.
    • You have signs of damage to the nerves or blood vessels. These include:
      • Numbness, tingling, or a "pins-and-needles" sensation below the injury.
      • Pale or bluish skin.
      • The injured arm feeling colder to the touch than the uninjured one.

    Call your doctor if you have:

    Recommended Related to Arthritis

    Scleroderma Diagnosis and Treatment

    If you think you have scleroderma, tell your doctor what symptoms you've noticed. In order to make a diagnosis, he'll ask you about your family's health history, look for changes in how thick your skin is, and do some tests. He may look at your finger under a microscope to check for changes in tiny blood vessels. These start to vanish early on in scleroderma. He’ll likely take a blood sample and send it to the lab to see if your immune system is in overdrive. Your doctor may also take a small...

    Read the Scleroderma Diagnosis and Treatment article > >

    • Pain when grasping, twisting, or lifting objects.
    • Work-related problems caused by your elbow pain.
    • Elbow pain after 2 weeks of home treatment or if treatment is making your elbow pain worse.

    Watchful waiting

    Watchful waiting is when you and your doctor watch your symptoms to see if your health improves on its own. If it does, no treatment is needed. If your symptoms don't get better or they get worse, then it's time to take the next treatment step.

    Home treatment often helps mild tennis elbow pain. You may want to try resting the elbow and applying ice or heat several times a day for 1 to 2 weeks before you call your doctor.

    Who to see

    For evaluation, diagnosis, or treatment of tennis elbow, you may see:

    You may be referred to a:

    • Physical therapist (for stretching and strengthening exercises).
    • Tennis or other sports instructor (for training in sports).
    • Specialist in job-related safety or ergonomics (for work-related activities).

    To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.


    WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise

    Last Updated: November 14, 2014
    This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor. Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
    Next Article:

    Hot Topics

    WebMD Video: Now Playing

    Click here to wach video: Dirty Truth About Hand Washing

    Which sex is the worst about washing up? Why is it so important? We’ve got the dirty truth on how and when to wash your hands.

    Click here to watch video: Dirty Truth About Hand Washing

    Popular Slideshows & Tools on WebMD

    disciplining a boy
    Types, symptoms, causes.
    fruit drinks
    Eat these to think better.
    embarrassed woman
    Do you feel guilty after eating?
    diabetes supply kit
    Pack and prepare.
    handful of vegetables and vitamins
    Diet tips and mistakes.
    birth control pills
    Which kind is right for you?
    Remember your finger
    Are you getting more forgetful?
    sticky notes on face
    10 tips to clear your brain fog.
    Close up of eye
    12 reasons you're distracted.
    Trainer demonstrating exercise for RA
    Exercises for your joints.
    apple slices with peanut butter
    What goes best with workouts?
    woman having a good day
    Revitalize your life.

    Women's Health Newsletter

    Find out what women really need.