Home treatment for a minor foot or ankle injury continued...
While still sitting, put your feet together flat on the floor.
Press your injured foot inward against your other foot.
place the heel of your other foot on top of the injured one. Push down with the
top heel while trying to push up with your injured foot.
Balance and control exercises
When you are able to
stand without pain, you can begin balance and control exercises . You can start
by standing in a doorway and lightly holding on to the doorjamb. When you can
do this for 60 seconds, try adding the advanced moves in the next level.
Stand on your injured foot only and
hold your arms:
- Out to the side with your eyes
- Across your chest with your eyes open.
- Out to
the side and close your eyes.
- Across your chest and close your
Do six repetitions, holding each for 60 seconds, once a
Take good care of your feet
Do not smoke or use other tobacco products. Smoking slows
healing because it decreases blood supply and delays tissue repair. For more
information, see the topic
Medicine you can buy without a prescription
| Try a nonprescription
medicine to help treat your pain:|
Talk to your child's doctor before switching back and
forth between doses of acetaminophen and ibuprofen. When you switch between two
medicines, there is a chance your child will get too much medicine.
| Be sure to follow these
safety tips when you use a nonprescription medicine:|
- Carefully read and follow all directions
on the medicine bottle and box.
- Do not take more than the
- Do not take a medicine if you have had an
allergic reaction to it in the past.
you have been told to avoid a medicine, call your doctor before you take
- If you are or could be pregnant, do not take any medicine other
than acetaminophen unless your doctor has told you to.
- Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than age 20 unless your doctor tells you to.
Symptoms to watch for during home treatment
Call your doctor if any of the following occur during home
- Pain or swelling develops.
- Signs of infection develop.
- Numbness; tingling; or cool, pale skin develops.
- Symptoms do not improve with
- Symptoms become more severe or more