Understanding Bone Fractures -- Prevention
How Can I Prevent Bone Fractures?
To help prevent fractures, follow general safety precautions, including:
Understanding Bone Fractures
- Always wear a seat belt when riding in a motor vehicle.
- Always wear the proper safety equipment (helmets and other protective pads) for recreational activities, such as bike riding, snowboarding, or contact sports.
- Keep walkways and stairs free of objects that could cause you to trip.
- If you have osteoporosis, engage in regular exercise to improve your strength and balance, which may help reduce falls, and discuss calcium supplements with your doctor.
- When you are on a ladder, avoid using the top step and be sure you have someone holding the ladder.