Understanding Lab Test Results
Why It Is Done
Lab tests are generally done for one of the following reasons:
- To find the cause of symptoms
- To confirm a diagnosis
- To screen for a disease. Screening tests are often done for people of a specific age or those who have a high risk for a specific disease.
- To help rule out a disease or condition
- To assess the severity of a disease
- To monitor the progression of a disease, how well an organ is working, or if treatment is helping
- To verify specific events (for example, DNA testing after a rape, or urine testing to look for drug use)
Many conditions can change your lab results. Your doctor will talk with you about any abnormal results as they relate to you.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
September 09, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Understanding Lab Test Results Topics