If the skin under your pouch is red, irritated, or itchy, you
need to treat your skin. Follow these steps:
- Gently remove the
- Clean the skin under the pouch with a wet
- Dry the skin.
- Sprinkle ostomy protective
powder on the skin and then blot it off.
- Reattach or replace the
Ostomy accessories may include:
- Curved (convex) barriers, which better conform
to some abdomens.
- Ostomy belts, which help support the
- Pouch covers, which conceal the pouch.
barrier paste, which fills in folds or skin irregularities of the abdomen to
form a better seal.
- Skin wipes or powders, which protect the skin
under the barrier and around the stoma.
- Tape, which supports the
barrier and is used for waterproofing.
- Tape remover, which cleans
adhesive off the skin.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
May 02, 2011
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.