Understanding ADHD -- Diagnosis and Treatment
9 Lifestyle Tips
These tips may help your child -- and you:
- Join a support group. Organizations include Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.
- Boost your child's self-esteem. Because a child with ADHD may have difficulty processing directions and other information, he or she is apt to be bombarded with corrections, leaving him with a low opinion of himself. Do whatever you can to boost your child's self-esteem.
- Praise and reward good behavior promptly.
- Be consistent with discipline, and make sure other caregivers follow your methods.
- Make instructions simple and specific ("Brush your teeth. Now, get dressed."), instead of general ("Get ready for school.").
- Encourage your child's special strengths, particularly in sports and out-of-school activities.
- Set and follow routines for meals, sleep, play, and other activities.
- Make time for play and exercise. Don't let homework monopolize all of your child's time after school.
- Simplify your child's room to minimize distractions, such as toys.