Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Allergies Health Center

Font Size

Drug Allergies: What to Expect From a Doctor

Doctors are very careful when diagnosing a drug allergy. Allergic reactions to drugs are different from more common drug side effects. Allergic reactions can also look like diseases.

What will happen at your doctor's office?

Recommended Related to Allergies

The Weather: Wreaking Havoc on Health

We all know people who blame the weather for their achy joints, killer headaches, and many other health woes. But proving these claims has been a bit more elusive. In recent years, however, scientists have become increasingly interested in attempting to understand just how various weather extremes and changing patterns affect our health. Many experts say that weather does account for some adverse health symptoms. WebMD talked to experts to learn just what is known about weather's role on our health...

Read the The Weather: Wreaking Havoc on Health article > >

  • Questions. Be ready to answer a lot of questions. Your doctor will want details about the medicines you've been using, your symptoms, and your health.
  • Blood tests. If you’ve had a serious skin reaction, your doctor may ask for these to be sure your organs are all working right or to look for other signs of a true allergy.
  • Other tests. Depending on your case, your doctor may need other tests, like a chest X-ray.
  • Treatment. If your symptoms are bad, your doctor will give you medicine to control the reaction.

Diagnosing and Managing a Drug Allergy

After the exam, your doctor may suggest:

  • Switching drugs. If your doctor is sure you are allergic to a drug, he or she will have you stop that drug and may switch you to a different medicine.
  • Allergy testing. If there's any doubt about whether you are truly allergic, your doctor may want you to have more tests. Keep in mind the tests don’t work for all drugs.
  • Trying to reduce your reaction. If switching drugs isn't an option -- and you must keep taking a drug for your health -- your doctor may suggest something called desensitization. You would get a small dose of the drug and then gradually raise it. The slow increase may get your body more used to the drug and cut your risk of an allergic reaction. It’s done in the hospital or doctor’s office. Desensitization is not a cure. It’s only temporary. It doesn't work for everyone and has risks. But it's one way for you to keep getting a medicine you need.

Taking Care

If you have an allergy, your doctor will give you advice on how to protect yourself. Some good first steps include:

  • Memorize the name of the drug that you’re allergic to -- both brand names and generic. Make sure that all your other health care providers, dentists, and pharmacists know about your drug allergy.
  • Get a medical ID bracelet or necklace that states your drug allergy. Always wear it.
  • Know what to do if you have an allergic reaction. If your doctor prescribes medication -- like Auvi-Q or Epi-Pen (epinephrine shots) -- for emergencies, make sure you always carry two with you and know how to use it.

Today on WebMD

man blowing nose
Make these tweaks to your diet, home, and lifestyle.
Allergy capsule
Breathe easier with these products.
cat on couch
Live in harmony with your cat or dog.
Woman sneezing with tissue in meadow
Which ones affect you?

blowing nose
woman with sore throat
lone star tick
Woman blowing nose

Send yourself a link to download the app.

Loading ...

Please wait...

This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.


Now check your email account on your mobile phone to download your new app.

cat lying on shelf
Allergy prick test
Man sneezing into tissue
Woman holding feather duster up to face, twitching