Skip to content

    Allergies Health Center

    Font Size

    Food Allergies: Questions for Your Doctor

    If you sometimes get hives or a rash after you eat, talk to your doctor to see if a food allergy is the cause. When you go in for your appointment, take this list with you to make sure you get all your questions answered.

    1. Can I outgrow my food allergy?
    2. Can you give me a complete list of foods I should avoid?
    3. How can I avoid trigger foods?
    4. Could these foods be called different things on food packaging?
    5. What should I do if I eat the food accidentally?
    6. Do I need to carry epinephrine shots (such as Auvi-Q or EpiPen)?
    7. Should I get medical ID jewelry for emergencies?
    8. Do I need to see an allergy specialist?
    9. Should I get an allergy test?
    10. Should I keep a food diary?
    11. How can I make sure I get enough nutrients if I avoid this food?
    12. Should I see a dietitian to help me with an eating plan?
    13. Could I be allergic to other foods, now or in the future?

    WebMD Medical Reference

    Reviewed by Jennifer Robinson, MD on December 02, 2014

    Today on WebMD

    man blowing nose
    Make these tweaks to your diet, home, and lifestyle.
    Allergy capsule
    Breathe easier with these products.
    cat on couch
    Live in harmony with your cat or dog.
    Woman sneezing with tissue in meadow
    Which ones affect you?

    blowing nose
    woman with sore throat
    lone star tick
    Woman blowing nose

    Send yourself a link to download the app.

    Loading ...

    Please wait...

    This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.


    Now check your email account on your mobile phone to download your new app.

    cat lying on shelf
    Allergy prick test
    Man sneezing into tissue
    Woman holding feather duster up to face, twitching