How to Clean Indoor Mold
Get rid of it quickly if you see it in your home. Not only can it irritate your allergies, but it can also damage whatever surface it's growing on.
If the moldy surface is larger than 10 square feet, consider hiring a contractor to do the job. Be sure the person has experience removing mold.
If your allergies are severe, ask someone else to clean it up. If this isn’t possible, wear a facemask while you clean.
If you have milder allergies and the area is not too big, you should still wear gloves and goggles while cleaning. These items will protect your skin and eyes. Don’t touch mold with your bare skin.
Use soap and warm water to scrub it from hard surfaces (such as tile), and then make sure the area is completely dry. The American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology also recommends that you use a bleach solution to clean washable surfaces.
Once the area is dry, check to make sure that all of the mold is gone. It may be impossible to remove it from some things, such as ceiling tiles or carpeting. If these items are moldy, you may need to get them replaced.
Never paint or caulk over an area with mold. Remove the fungus first.
Keep Outdoor Mold Out of Your Home
Most exposure to molds happens outside. But spores from the outdoors can get into your home through windows and doors and on your shoes and clothing.
- Keep your doors and windows closed when outdoor mold spore counts are high. Use an air conditioner with a HEPA filter instead.
- Leave your shoes at the door so you don’t track it through your home.
- Take a shower and change your clothes after spending time outside.
- Clean and vacuum regularly. Use a vacuum that has a HEPA filter to catch small particles and dust.
Treat Your Allergies
You may need other treatment if you get rid of mold as much as possible but still have symptoms. Over-the-counter treatments for allergies include antihistamines and decongestants. Your doctor may prescribe other medications if these don’t give you relief.