A mild allergic reaction to a mosquito’s saliva causes a small itchy welt that usually gets better within few hours. But if you are highly sensitive, symptoms can last for several days. The small welt can develop into an itchy sore the size of a quarter.
It’s tough advice, but the best thing you can do is not scratch the bite. Scratching can create an opening in your skin that can give bacteria a way to get in and cause infection.
For lots of people, allergy treatment is reactive. You get stuffed up, your eyes water, and then you go to the medicine cabinet for relief. But many doctors say that we’ve got it the wrong way around. Instead, we should be taking the medicine before we have symptoms. Call it allergy pretreatment.
“We always tell people to start taking medicine before the allergy season begins,” says Jonathan A. Bernstein MD, an allergist and professor of clinical medicine at the University of Cincinnati. “People...