Skip to content

    Allergies Health Center

    Font Size

    All About Nasal Allergies

    Pollen, mold, pets, or dust mites? If you have watery eyes and a stuffy nose, you’re probably more interested in what will stop your symptoms than what’s causing them. But when you know what’s to blame, you can find relief.

    If your achoos only come at certain times of the year, you may be allergic to pollen. In the spring, trees are usually responsible for allergies. In summer, grasses and weeds are the main culprits. In fall, it's weeds, especially ragweed.

    Recommended Related to Allergies

    Tips to Manage Allergies While Traveling

    Try these tips for allergy relief when you’re on vacation or traveling on business. Travel Insurance: Check pollen counts at your destination. Pack your own hypoallergenic pillow cover and allergy medicine in a carry-on bag. No Venting: On road trips, keep the air vent closed. You'll breathe recirculated air, not pollen or pollution. Smart Car: Take a vacuum to your car. Pollen and dust mites can easily cling to clothing, bringing more allergens into your home. Cruise Control:...

    Read the Tips to Manage Allergies While Traveling article > >

    If your symptoms last all year, you may be allergic to dust mites, pet dander, or mold. Outdoors, mold usually peaks in late summer and early fall. But it can hang around all year.

    You can be allergic to more than one thing. You can also have seasonal and year-round allergies. Most people have more than one thing that sets their sneezes off.

    What Are Allergy Symptoms?

    Your body sees the thing you’re allergic to as an invader. It sends out chemicals like histamine to fight off the foreign substance.

    Histamine is what sets off your symptoms. You get congested, and your nose and eyes may itch and water. You probably sneeze a lot.

    How Do I Find Out What I'm Allergic To?

    Usually your doctor can diagnose allergies based on your symptoms and triggers. If your reactions are more severe or medication doesn’t help, an allergist (a doctor who specializes in treating allergies) may do a skin test to find out what your triggers are.

    She'll put tiny bits of things that might cause an allergic reaction (she’ll call them allergens) on your arm or back, and then scratch the surface of your skin. Any places that get red and itchy mean you have an allergy to that specific trigger.

    It’s rare, but your doctor may also do a blood test to help diagnose you.

    Who Gets Outdoor Allergies?

    Lots of people get them. Your doctor may call them "hay fever." No one knows why some people get them and others don't.

    If your parents have allergies, there's a higher chance you will, too. If you have asthma or eczema, you're more likely to get hay fever or year-round allergies.

    Today on WebMD

    man blowing nose
    Make these tweaks to your diet, home, and lifestyle.
    Allergy capsule
    Breathe easier with these products.
    cat on couch
    Live in harmony with your cat or dog.
    Woman sneezing with tissue in meadow
    Which ones affect you?

    blowing nose
    woman with sore throat
    lone star tick
    Woman blowing nose

    Send yourself a link to download the app.

    Loading ...

    Please wait...

    This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.


    Now check your email account on your mobile phone to download your new app.

    cat lying on shelf
    Allergy prick test
    Man sneezing into tissue
    Woman holding feather duster up to face, twitching