What Is Sinusitis?
What Is Nasal Endoscopy?
A nasal endoscope is a tubelike instrument equipped with tiny lights and cameras. Doctors use it to see inside your nose and sinus drainage areas.
You may get a "local," which numbs the area, but that’s not always needed.
If you have a simple sinus infection, your doctor may recommend you use a decongestant and saline nasal washes. You shouldn’t use an over-the-counter decongestant more than 3 days, though, because it can make you more congested.
If your doctor gives you antibiotics, you’ll probably take them for 10 to 14 days. The symptoms usually disappear with treatment.
Warm, moist air may help if you have chronic sinusitis. You can use a vaporizer, or you can inhale steam from a pan of warm water. Make sure the water isn't too hot.
There are some other things you can do yourself to help with chronic sinusitis:
- Warm compresses can ease pain in the nose and sinuses.
- Saline nose drops are safe to use at home.
- Over-the-counter decongestant drops or sprays can help. Don’t take them longer than recommended.
In some cases, your doctor may prescribe steroids along with antibiotics.
You also need to avoid any triggers linked to your sinusitis. Some treatment options include:
- If you have allergies,your doctor may recommend an antihistamine.
- If a fungus is to blame, you’ll get a prescription for an antifungal medicine.
- If you have certain immune deficiencies, your doctor may give you immunoglobulin, which helps fight the things your body reacts to.
Can I Prevent Sinusitis?
There is no sure-fire way to prevent sinusitis. But there are some things that might help.
- Don’t smoke, and try not to be too near people who are smoking.
Wash your hands often, especially during cold and flu season, and try not to touch your face.
- Try to stay away from things you know you’re allergic to.
Do I Need Sinus Surgery?
You might, if antibiotics and other medicines don't open the sinus.
Also, if the structure of your sinuses may not be quite right. For example, nasal polyps may block them and keep them from draining as they should. If that’s the case, your doctor may talk to you about some type of procedure.