Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started
My Medicine

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

  • Second Opinion

    Second Opinion

    Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

  • Community


    Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

Sign up to receive WebMD's award-winning content delivered to your inbox.

Sign Up

Allergies Health Center

Font Size

Skin Contact Allergies: What Your Doctor Will Do

If you have severe or ongoing skin problems, it may be time to see an allergist or dermatologist. They can perform allergy tests and try to help you pinpoint what you’re allergic to.

You probably don’t need to see a doctor if:

Recommended Related to Allergies

Allergy Tips for Outdoor Living

Try these tips to enjoy outdoor living, gardening, and hiking despite your allergies. Thick of It: Is the grass getting high? Wear a mask if you're mowing. Nothing fancy -- an inexpensive painter's mask works fine. High and Dry: Pollen counts are highest on hot, dry, windy days. Check the forecast before making plans. Good Scents, Bad Sense: Allergic to insect stings? Don't wear scented deodorants, perfumes, shampoos, or hair products. Carry an epi pen when hiking. Orange...

Read the Allergy Tips for Outdoor Living article > >

  • a rash is clearly linked to a specific trigger that you can avoid
  • you have a single, mild reaction that clears up on its own

But if you’re unsure about anything, call your doctor.

Testing for Skin Contact Allergies

A skin contact allergy -- also called contact dermatitis -- occurs when something touches your skin that you are sensitive to or allergic to. Your doctor may suspect a skin contact allergy based on your medical history and a physical exam. You’ll be asked if you’ve recently been exposed to common allergens like perfume, jewelry, or latex.

If your doctor thinks you have a contact allergy, you may have a patch test. For this test, tiny amounts of things that could cause an allergic reaction are placed on patches and taped to the skin on your back. They have to stay dry, so you can’t shower or bathe during the test period. You need to avoid sweating, too. After 48 hours, your doctor will check your skin to see if you have a reaction to anything. He may schedule another follow-up to check again in a few days.

Rarely, your doctor may want to do a blood test or skin biopsy, where a small sample of skin is taken for a test.

Treating Skin Contact Allergies

Treatment for skin contact allergies depends on what’s causing them. Many times, you can simply avoid the trigger. Use cold compresses, calamine lotion, or an oatmeal bath to soothe skin and relieve itchiness.

For small areas of skin, your doctor may prescribe a steroid cream to help treat symptoms. Use it only as often as directed. Using more than recommended, or using it more often, won’t make it work any better. Try applying it after a bath or shower to get the biggest benefit. If the reaction covers a larger area of skin, you doctor may prescribe steroid pills and antihistamines.

Today on WebMD

man blowing nose
Make these tweaks to your diet, home, and lifestyle.
Allergy capsule
Breathe easier with these products.
cat on couch
Live in harmony with your cat or dog.
Woman sneezing with tissue in meadow
Which ones affect you?

blowing nose
woman with sore throat
lone star tick
Woman blowing nose

Send yourself a link to download the app.

Loading ...

Please wait...

This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.


Now check your email account on your mobile phone to download your new app.

cat lying on shelf
Allergy prick test
Man sneezing into tissue
Woman holding feather duster up to face, twitching