The rash (allergic
contact dermatitis ) from
poison ivy, oak, or sumac typically is mild and can be
treated at home. Home treatment for the rash usually helps relieve symptoms
rather than speeding up the time it takes the rash to heal.
If you know you had contact with one of the
immediately wash areas of the skin that may have
touched the plant. Sometimes the rash can be completely avoided by washing the
affected areas with plenty of water. Clothing and other items that may have oil on them should be thoroughly washed right away too.
To relieve itching and help blisters dry out, apply wet compresses or soak
the area in cool water.
Antihistamine pills or calamine lotion may help
To prevent infection, try not to
scratch the rash. Also, cut your fingernails short to minimize the possibility
of opening the skin and spreading bacteria.