Skip to content

    Allergies Health Center

    Font Size
    A
    A
    A

    How to Use Bug Spray

    Bug spray, or insect repellent, uses a variety of ingredients that can make you invisible to insects looking for someone to bite. Keep in mind, though, that it won't do much to keep away stinging insects like bees, wasps, and hornets.

    Follow label directions carefully. And try these tips:

    Recommended Related to Allergies

    Indoor Allergy Triggers

    You come home after a day away, step into the house, and the symptoms hit: Watery eyes, scratchy throat, congestion. Could it be indoor allergies? Allergies are very common. An estimated 50 million Americans are allergic to everything from dust and dander, to mold and mites. But what about you? How can you be sure you have indoor allergies -- and pinpoint what’s causing them? To help you understand what’s behind your allergy symptoms, WebMD got tips from experts on how to recognize common allergy...

    Read the Indoor Allergy Triggers article > >

    • Go with a low concentration of DEET. One that’s 30% will work as well as a stronger product.
    • Look for a graphic created by the Environmental Protection Agency that shows how long the product will protect you from tick and mosquito bites.
    • Apply just enough to cover exposed skin and clothing. Don’t use it under your clothes.
    • Don’t put it directly on your face. Spray it on your hands and pat your face.
    • Don’t apply it near your eyes or mouth. Use just a little around your ears.
    • Don’t use on skin with cuts, sores, or irritation.
    • Use bug spray only in well-ventilated areas. Don’t spray near food.
    • When you come back inside, wash treated skin with soap and water.
    • Skip products that combine DEET and sunscreen, because the instructions for using the two products are different.
    • If you get bug spray in your eyes, flush them with water and call your doctor or poison control center. If you go to the doctor, take the spray with you.

    For children:

    • Don't use products with lemon eucalyptus oil on children under the age of 3.
    • Don’t let a small child put on bug spray on their own. Put some on your hands, then use your hands to put it on the child.
    • Don't apply bug spray to a young child’s hands -- he might put his hands in his mouth.

    It’s rare, but bug spray can cause irritation or allergic reactions. If you think you’re having one, stop using the product. Wash your skin well with soap and water, and call a poison control center.

    WebMD Medical Reference

    Reviewed by Luqman Seidu, MD on October 26, 2014

    Today on WebMD

    man blowing nose
    Make these tweaks to your diet, home, and lifestyle.
    Allergy capsule
    Breathe easier with these products.
     
    cat on couch
    Live in harmony with your cat or dog.
    Woman sneezing with tissue in meadow
    Which ones affect you?
     

    blowing nose
    Article
    woman with sore throat
    Article
     
    lone star tick
    Slideshow
    Woman blowing nose
    Slideshow
     

    Send yourself a link to download the app.

    Loading ...

    Please wait...

    This feature is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

    Thanks!

    Now check your email account on your mobile phone to download your new app.

    cat lying on shelf
    Article
    Allergy prick test
    VIDEO
     
    Man sneezing into tissue
    Assessment
    Woman holding feather duster up to face, twitching
    Quiz