Assisted Living Facilities for Alzheimer's Disease
Finances, Contracts, and More
- Does the facility meet local and state licensing standards?
- What’s the policy on insurance and personal property?
- How does the staff respond to a medical emergency?
- Are visitors welcome at any time?
- Is there a written care plan for each resident?
- How does the staff decide what services a new resident needs? How often do they do that?
- Can the facility kick out residents who refuse to comply with a care plan?
- Do contracts cover housing, personal care, health care, and support services?
- When can the center terminate a contract? What’s the refund policy?
- Are extra services available if a resident’s needs change?
- How do you pay for extra services that your loved one needs only for a short time (such as nursing care)?
- How much do different levels or types of services cost?
- What are the billing, payment, and credit policies?
- What kind of training does the staff get?
- Are staff members personable and outgoing?
- Do they greet residents by their first names? How do they interact with them?
- How does the staff respond to unscheduled needs?
- Are there people to help residents who have problems with memory, confusion, or judgment?
Residents, Atmosphere, and Social Life
- How do the residents of a community get along? Do they seem happy and comfortable?
- What do residents, visitors, and volunteers say about the facility?
- Does the facility offer activities and social events? What kind and how often?
- Do residents join in activities with other communities in the area?
- Do volunteers, including family members, come in to help with programs?
Facility Design and Features
- Do you like the look of the building and its surroundings?
- Do the living spaces feel homey?
- Is the floor plan easy to follow?
- Do wheelchairs and walkers fit in doorways, hallways, and rooms?
- Are cupboards and shelves easy to reach?
- Are carpets secured and floors made of a non-skid material?
- Are the rooms well-lit?
- Are the rooms clean, odor-free, and a comfortable temperature?
- Do residents have their own lockable doors?
- Is there a 24-hour emergency response system in or near each unit?
- Are bathrooms private? Are they big enough for wheelchairs and walkers?
- Can residents bring their own furnishings? What may they bring?
- Do all units have a telephone and cable TV? How are you billed for these services?
- Do residents have a kitchen with a refrigerator, sink, and stove or oven?
- Can residents keep food in their units?
- Does the facility allow smoking in units or in public areas?
- Do they allow pets? Who takes care of them?