Alzheimer's Disease and Nursing Home Care
What Should We Look For in a Nursing Home? continued...
- Do the nurses, social workers, and administrators have experience working with older patients?
- Are staff members available to meet scheduled and unscheduled needs?
- Do staff members seem to enjoy working with the residents?
- Do they treat residents like adults? Do they call them by their first names?
- Are there people to help residents who have problems with memory, confusion, or judgment?
Residents and Atmosphere
- Do residents seem happy and comfortable? Are they clean and dressed well?
- What do residents, other visitors, and volunteers say about the nursing home?
- Are the rights of residents clearly posted?
Facility Design and Features
- Do you like the look of the building and its surroundings?
- Do the living spaces feel homey?
- Is the floor plan easy to follow?
- Do wheelchairs and walkers fit in doorways, hallways, and rooms?
- Are there elevators?
- Are the rooms well-lit?
- Is the facility clean, odor-free, and at a comfortable temperature?
- Is there a 24-hour emergency response system in each room?
- Are bathrooms private? Do wheelchairs and walkers fit?
- Can residents bring their own furnishings? What may they bring?
- Do all rooms have a phone?
Medication and Health Care
- What’s the policy on storing medication and helping residents take it? Can residents take their medicine themselves?
- How often does a doctor or nurse visit to give medical checkups?
- Who coordinates visits from physical, occupational, or speech therapists?
Social and Recreational Activities
- Is there an activities program? Is the schedule clearly posted?
- Do most of the residents at an activity seem to join in?
- How often does the center provide meals? What’s a typical menu? Are there set meal times?
- Is the food hot and appetizing?
- Are snacks available?
- What if residents need special foods?
- Is it easy to get drinking water anywhere in the facility?
- Are there group dining areas, or do residents eat meals in their rooms?
Neil Lava, MD on September 20, 2014
© 2014 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.