Alzheimer's Disease and Nursing Home Care
What Should We Look For In a Nursing Home? continued...
- Is there a written plan for the care of each resident?
- What is the procedure for assessing a potential resident's need for services? Are those needs reassessed periodically?
- Do the nurses, social workers, and administrators have experience and/or education regarding elderly patients?
- Are staff members available to meet scheduled and unscheduled needs?
- Do staff members seem to genuinely enjoy working with the residents?
- Do staff members treat residents as individuals?
- Are staff members available to assist residents who experience memory, orientation, or judgment losses?
- Does a doctor or nurse visit the resident regularly to provide medical checkups?
Residents and Atmosphere
- Do residents appear happy and comfortable?
- Do residents, other visitors, and volunteers speak favorably about the nursing home?
- Are residents clean and appropriately dressed?
- Are the rights of residents clearly posted?
- Do you like the appearance of the building and its surroundings?
- Is the decor attractive and home-like?
- Is the floor plan easy to follow?
- Do doorways, hallways, and rooms accommodate wheelchairs and walkers?
- Are elevators available?
- Are handrails available?
- Are shelves easy to reach?
- Are carpets secured and floors made of a non-skid material?
- Is there good natural and artificial lighting?
- Is the residence clean, odor free, and appropriately heated/cooled?
Medication and Health Care
- What is the policy regarding storage of medication and assistance with medication?
- Is self-administration of medication allowed?
- Who coordinates visits from a physical, occupational, or speech therapist, if needed?
- Are staff members available to provide 24-hour assistance with activities of daily living, if needed? Daily activities include:
- Getting around
- Hygiene and grooming
- Bathing, toileting, and incontinence issues
- Using the telephone
- Are rooms for single and double occupancy available?
- Is a 24-hour emergency response system accessible from the room?
- Are bathrooms private? Do they accommodate wheelchairs and walkers?
- Can residents bring their own furnishings? What may they bring?
- Do all rooms have a telephone? How is billing handled for long-distance calls?
Social and Recreational Activities
- Is there an activities program?
- Are the activities posted for residents?
- Do most of the residents at an activity seem to be participating?