Anxiety - Preparing For Your Appointment
To prepare for your appointment, see the topic Making the Most of Your Appointment.
You can help your
doctor diagnose and treat your condition by being prepared to answer the
- What is your major symptom?
- How long
have you had your symptoms? Do they come and go, or are they always
- What triggers the onset of your symptoms?
makes your symptoms better or worse?
- Do you have other symptoms
that may be related to your major symptom? These other symptoms may include:
- Rapid or irregular
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Numbness or
- Excessive sweating.
- Feeling that you are not
able to get enough air (air hunger).
- Restlessness, irritability, or
feeling on edge.
- Feeling depressed.
- Have you ever had a similar problem in the past? If
so, how was it treated?
- Has anyone else in your family ever been
diagnosed with an
anxiety disorder, depression, or another mental
- Has anyone in your family committed suicide or tried to
- What home treatment measures have you tried? Did
- What prescription or nonprescription medicines are you
- What herbal supplements are you
- Are you using alcohol or illegal drugs, such as marijuana
or cocaine, to manage your symptoms?
- Do you smoke or use other
- Do you have any
While waiting for your appointment, it may be helpful to keep
diary of your symptoms(What is a PDF document?).
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
May 09, 2013
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.