Devices for Living Easier with Arthritis
From the kitchen to the bedroom, here is WebMD's room-by-room guide to easier living with arthritis.
Several simple innovations can make a world of difference in the
- Faucet turners. These levered handles make turning on faucets in the
bathroom sink much easier.
- Bathtub bar. Install a bathtub bar to hold on to as you get in and out of
- Shower seat. These simple seats fit in your tub or shower stall. They can
help you conserve energy while bathing and avoid falls.
- Elevated toilet seats. An elevated toilet seat can reduce the strain
created by getting on and off traditional low toilet seats.
Also while you are bathing or showering, a long-handled bath brush or sponge
can help you wash hard-to-reach places.
Your Living Room or Den
Relax with less stress using these helpful aids in your living room.
- One-touch, or voice- and motion-activated lamps. Depending on your
preferences, get lamps that turn on with a simple touch to the base, or when
you walk in the room or talk.
- A cervical pillow. Keep a cervical pillow on the couch with the rest of
your throw pillows so you can keep your neck comfortable while watching
- Grip-and-turn door knobs. Replace small rotating door knobs with door
levers or form-fitting rubber knob covers that are easy to grip and turn.
- Bookholders. If you enjoy reading on the couch, purchase a bookholder for
Remember, don't watch television while lying on your back because this can
cause neck discomfort and back pain. And if changing channels on the remote
control is challenging, consider purchasing a universal remote control with
Your Hallways and Doorways
Assistive devices such as canes, crutches, or walkers can help with walking
around the home. Here are a few other helpful devices.
- Key turners. Simple key turners can make coming and going much less of
hassle. They typically have large plastic handles, which provide leverage for
- Doorknob levers. Doorknob levers or covers provide better grip and pushing
power. Often made of molded rubber, they tend to fit over standard