How to Use a Dry Powder Inhaler Rotadisk
What Is a Dry Powder Rotadisk Inhaler?
Some asthma medications can be taken in the form of a dry powder inside a small, hand-held device called a dry powder inhaler or DPI. Dry powder inhalers deliver drugs to the lungs as you inhale through the device. Dry powder inhalers do not contain propellants or any other ingredients. They contain only the medication. The Rotadisk inhaler is a dry powder inhaler.
How Do I Load My Rotadisk Inhaler?
- Remove the mouthpiece cover.
- Pull out the white tray until you see all the ridges on the sides of the tray.
- Put your finger and thumb on the ridges and squeeze. Pull the tray out gently.
- Place a disk on the wheel with the numbers facing up. Slide the tray back into the inhaler.
How Do I Use My Rotadisk Inhaler?
- Rotate the disk by sliding the tray in and out. Continue until the number 4 appears in the dose indicator window.
- Keeping the inhaler level, lift the back of the lid as far as it will go until it is upright. Then close the lid.
- Turn your head away from the Rotadisk and breathe out as much air as you comfortably can.
- Place the mouthpiece in your mouth and breathe in steadily and as deeply as you can.
- Hold your breath for up to 10 seconds.
- Remove the Rotadisk from your mouth and exhale slowly.
- Pull the tray out then push back in, turning the disk to the next number. Lift the back of the lid only if you need to take another dose.
- If you do need to take another dose, repeat steps two through 12.
- Replace the mouthpiece cover.
How Do I Care for My Rotadisk Inhaler?
At least once a week clean your inhaler as follows:
- Remove the tray.
- Hold the wheel with your finger and separate it from the tray.
- Using the brush located under the lid, brush away powder left on the inhaler.
- Replace the wheel and snap into place.
- Slide the tray back into the inhaler.