Amid the excitement of welcoming your baby, it's easy to overlook something as important as making day care arrangements. But you can reduce your stress level by making arrangements for day care well before your due date.
Follow this strategy for a smooth transition to day care:
- Ask your doctor or friends for day care referrals.
- Visit several day care centers.
- Take notes and ask the following questions.
Questions to Ask:
- What are the center's operating hours?
- What about state licenses, accreditation, staff training?
- Do they have licensed staff; do they do criminal background checks?
- Is the child-staff ratio of three-to-one for 1 year and under?
- Are there doctors, nurses on call or on staff?
- Ask about policies -- visitors, TV, play, sickness, discipline (for older kids)?
- Is there a pre-entry medical exam; are there vaccine requirements?
- What about menus, special diet needs, attention to food allergies?
- Is there safe, clean playground equipment?
- What are the fees, payments, tuition costs?