Skip to content

    Tips and resources on fertility and getting pregnant.

    Guest Expert Photo

    When Is It Time to See a Fertility Specialist?

    You’re 33 years old and you’ve been trying to get pregnant for a year. Is it time to see an infertility specialist?

    In the WebMD Trying to Conceive Community, Yvette Smith, MD, MPH, provides these general guidelines:

    1. No need to see a specialist if: You aren’t avoiding pregnancy, but you aren’t actively pursuing it either.
    2. Get fertility testing if: You are under 35 years old and have been trying to conceive for a year or are over 35 and have been trying for six months.
    3. Consult with an infertility specialist if:
    • You have been tested and no obvious problem was found. At this point, you are charting your temperature, watching mucus, timing intercourse, and/or using ovulation predictor kits. It’s a good time to discuss other options.
    • You have an established fertility problem and are using the fertility drug clomiphene citrate. You have ovulated on this drug and taken it for three months without getting pregnant.

    While offering these guidelines, Smith also points out that some couples choose not to consult with a specialist at any point while trying to conceive.

    But if you do, she says, be careful who you see. Your ob-gyn or a general practitioner can do much of the initial testing and some treatment. When it’s time to see a specialist, make sure the person is trained and board eligible or certified in the subspecialty of reproduction and infertility.

    Are you wondering if you should see a specialist about infertility?

    Discussion led by Yvette Smith, MD, MPH Guest Expert
    Next Article:

    Guest Expert What is a guest expert?

    Hyacinth Nicole Browne, MD, is a board certified OB/GYN and Assoc. Medical Director at Sher Institute for Reproductive Medicine in Westchester, NY... More

    Read Profile

    Trying to Conceive Poll

    How long have you been trying to get pregnant?

    View Results