How to Choose a Pediatrician
When looking for a pediatrician to care for your baby, you'll want to give yourself plenty of time to find someone both you and your partner feel comfortable with. So it's a good idea to begin choosing a pediatrician at the beginning of your third trimester. Ask your OB and trusted family and friends for recommendations. These questions can help you choose the right pediatrician for you.
- Does this doctor have a good reputation?
- What is this doctor's training and experience?
- Does the pediatrician respect my philosophy on breastfeeding and immunizations?
- Does the doctor listen to me and explain things clearly?
- Will my child see the same doctor every time?
- Who covers for the pediatrician when he or she is not available?
- Is my spouse or partner comfortable with this doctor?
- Is the office staff pleasant and helpful?
- Is the office location convenient?
- How long does it take to get an appointment?
- How long will my child and I spend in the waiting room?
- Does the pediatrician offer evening and weekend hours? Who sees my child during these hours?
- How are emergencies and after-hour calls handled?
- What hospital is the pediatrician affiliated with?
- Does my insurance cover this doctor's services?