How to Choose a Maternal-Fetal Medicine Specialist
If you have a high-risk pregnancy, choosing an MFM specialist to provide your prenatal care is an important step. This person will work closely with you to help you have a safe and healthy pregnancy.
Your OB, family doctor, or midwife can refer you to a few MFM specialists. This list of questions can help you find the MFM specialist who's right for you:
- Does the doctor have a good reputation?
- How long has the MFM specialist been in practice?
- How does the MFM specialist manage pain during delivery?
- Are you comfortable with the MFM specialist's views about when to induce labor or perform a C-section?
- Does the doctor listen to you and explain things clearly?
- Is your partner comfortable with this doctor?
- Will the MFM specialist be in town around your due date?
- Will a Maternal-Fetal Medicine doctor be actually delivering me or will my primary OB-gyn still do that?
- Who covers for the MFM specialist when he or she is not available?
- If another doctor might handle the delivery, can you meet him or her beforehand?
- What hospital is the MFM specialist affiliated with?
- Does your insurance cover this doctor's services?
- Is the staff pleasant and helpful?
- Is the office location convenient?
- How are emergencies and after-hour calls handled?