Pregnant, With Housework to Do
It's a wonderful fantasy: Get pregnant, and then to be safe from toxins and overexertion, call in 24-7 household cleaning help. Sorry to be the one to break it to you. Most household chores are still perfectly safe!
For just a few tasks, though, it may be better to lean on your partner -- or hire some temporary help.
Off Limits: Cat Litter Boxes
As precious as your kitty is, a cat can carry a parasite, Toxoplasma gondii. (They get it from eating raw meat, birds, rodents, etc.) It can pass to you through contact with the cat's stool. This can cause an infection that may lead to problems with pregnancy, including miscarriage.
For perspective, though, you're less likely to get this parasite from your feline than from gardening or eating undercooked meat. However, doctors recommend that you stay away from the litter box during pregnancy. (You can still snuggle with the cat.)
- Ask your partner or other willing adult family member to change the litter box daily. (This will reduce the risk of the parasite being passed.)
- If there is no one who can oblige, change it carefully. Wear gloves. Wash your hands well with soap and water when you're done.
- Keep your cat indoors.
To reduce the risk even more, feed your cat canned or dried food only. Don't give your cat raw or undercooked meat. And while you are pregnant, don't adopt an outdoor or stray cat. They're more likely to have eaten raw meat.
General Cleaning: Go Natural?
Now's the time to cut down or cut out your use of potentially toxic cleaners with loads of chemicals. Some can harm your growing babies. If you're not sure whether a product is harmful, check the label. It should say whether or not it's toxic.
If you decide to buy "green," look for certified green products. Labels that say "Green Seal" or "EcoLogo" meet green standards.
To minimize chemical exposure, skip or cut down on:
- Bug sprays
- Commercial oven cleaner sprays
- Air fresheners (which may also make you nauseated)
- Commercial household cleaners with multiple chemicals