You may get more illnesses when you're pregnant because you're more susceptible to infection, such as viruses. Your immune system lowers slightly during pregnancy so your body won't reject your developing baby. Not all sore throats are due to infection, however. For example, heartburn, a common pregnancy symptom, can also give you a sore throat. Pregnant women also often become congested, which can lead to a sore throat. Fortunately, simple home treatments ease most sore throats.
Call Doctor If:
- Your sore throat is severe or lasts more than three days.
- You have a fever with a sore throat.
- Your sore throat comes on suddenly or makes it difficult to swallow or breathe.
- You want to take an over-the-counter medication.
- You have chronic heartburn that is causing your sore throat.
- Gargle with warm salt water.
- Drink a soothing herbal tea or hot water with lemon and honey.
- Suck on a lozenge or hard candy to relieve pain temporarily.
- To boost your immune system and fight infection, eat healthy foods, especially fruits and vegetables. Take a prenatal vitamin, drink water to hydrate, get plenty of rest, and reduce stress.