Gestational Diabetes - What Increases Your Risk
You have an increased
chance of developing
gestational diabetes if:
- You are 25 or older when you become
- You have had gestational diabetes before.
- You have given birth to a baby who weighed more than 9 lb (4
- You have a parent or sibling who has
type 2 diabetes.
- You are obese (your
body mass index [BMI] is 30 or
- You are a member of a racial group or ethnic group that has a high
risk of diabetes, such as Latin Americans, Native Americans, Asian
Americans, African Americans, or Pacific Islanders.
- You have a history of prediabetes.
WebMD Medical Reference from Healthwise
January 28, 2014
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.
Healthwise disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Gestational Diabetes Topics
Pregnancy Week-By-Week Newsletter
Delivered right to your inbox, get pictures and facts on
what to expect each week of your pregnancy.