Multiple Pregnancy: Twins or More - Home Treatment
multiple pregnancy can make
morning sickness worse during the first months of
pregnancy. You can treat your symptoms at home, unless you have become
dehydrated or are not getting enough to eat because of vomiting.
- Pregnancy: Dealing With Morning Sickness
Learn the signs of
preterm labor. They may include:
- Cramping similar to menstrual
- Abdominal cramps, possibly with
- Contractions of your uterus that don't go away, about 4
or more in 20 minutes or about 8 or more within 1 hour.
- Pressure in your lower back, especially if it comes and
- An increase in your usual amount of vaginal discharge.
Call your health professional immediately if you have symptoms of preterm labor.
health professional or go to the hospital if you begin bleeding from the vagina
or if your water breaks.
Self-care for multiple pregnancy
If you are
pregnant with twins or more, it's important to:
- Get enough nutritious calories, folic acid, iron, and calcium to nourish you and
your babies (fetuses).
things that could hurt your babies, such as:
- Reduce your physical activity. Most doctors will
recommend that you stop physically demanding exercise after 24 weeks of a
multiple pregnancy. Talk to your doctor about walking or
- Get plenty of rest, especially after the 24th week of
- Consider whether you need
to change your daily work activities, based on how well your pregnancy is
going. Be sure to follow any advice to reduce your activity
- See your health professional often. Beginning in the 20th
week of pregnancy, you may be checked every other week. Beginning at the 30th
week, you may be checked more often.
For more information on what to expect during pregnancy,
labor, and childbirth, see the topic
After the babies are born
Coping. Having a multiple pregnancy and
caring for two or more infants at the same time can be
overwhelming and exhausting. Lack of sleep, the increased amount of work, less
personal time, and trouble maintaining the home are common sources of
frustration for parents of multiple infants.
newborns to care for, it is common to feel frustrated or guilty about not
managing your life as easily as before. This is normal. Get extra help for as
long as possible after your babies are born. Rest as often as you can during
the day. Accept help from friends and family. They can bring meals, go grocery
shopping, do household chores, or care for your children while you take some
time for yourself.
Some women feel sad or depressed after having twins or more. If you feel depressed for longer than 2 weeks
or if you have troubling or dangerous thoughts, see your health professional.
It is important that you get treatment. For more information, see the topic
- Depression: Managing Postpartum Depression