Back Problems and Injuries - Home Treatment
More home treatment for a tailbone (coccyx) injury
- A warm
sitz bath for 20 minutes, 3 to 4 times per day after
the first 48 to 72 hours, can be soothing to the tailbone area. Sitting in a
hot tub or warm bath may also feel good, as long as you are not sitting
directly on your tailbone.
- Do not sit on hard, unpadded
- Sit on a C-shaped pillow with the open space under your tailbone to take pressure off the
- Avoid constipation. Straining to have a bowel
movement will increase tailbone pain. For more information, see the topic
Constipation, Age 12 and Older.
Do not smoke. Smoking slows healing because it decreases
blood supply and delays tissue repair. For more information, see the topic
Medicine you can buy without a prescription
| Try a nonprescription
medicine to help treat your fever or pain:|
Talk to your child's doctor before switching back and
forth between doses of acetaminophen and ibuprofen. When you switch between two
medicines, there is a chance your child will get too much medicine.
| Be sure to follow these
safety tips when you use a nonprescription medicine:|
- Carefully read and follow all directions
on the medicine bottle and box.
- Do not take more than the
- Do not take a medicine if you have had an
allergic reaction to it in the past.
you have been told to avoid a medicine, call your doctor before you take
- If you are or could be pregnant, do not take any medicine other
than acetaminophen unless your doctor has told you to.
- Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than age 20 unless your doctor tells you to.
Home treatment 2 to 3 days after the injury
- Continue with daily walks, increasing the walks
to 5 to 10 minutes 3 to 4 times a day.
- Try swimming, which is good
for your back. It may be painful immediately after a back injury, but lap
swimming or kicking with swim fins often helps prevent back pain from coming
- Take a
yoga class or get a
Back pain often gets better when you gradually increase
your physical activity. Try to get back to your normal routines and activities
as soon as possible. Resting and not doing anything may actually increase back
pain or make it last longer.