March 9, 2007 -- The number of cosmetic procedures done in the U.S. almost reached 11.5 million last year, up 1% from 2005.
The 2006 statistic isn't an all-time high. In 2004, more than 11.8 million cosmetic procedures were done in the U.S., according to the ASAPS.
Top 5 Cosmetic Procedures
Here are the top five cosmetic surgeries for 2006:
- Liposuction: 403,684 surgeries
- Breast augmentation: 383,886 surgeries
- Eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty): 209,999 surgeries
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty): 172,457 surgeries
- Breast reduction: 145,822 surgeries
The 2006 top five nonsurgical cosmetic procedures for 2006 are:
- Botox injection: 3.2 million procedures
- Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restalyne): 1.6 million procedures
- Laser hair removal: More than 1.4 million procedures
- Microdermabrasion: More than 993,000 procedures
- Laser skin resurfacing: About 576,500 procedures
Silicone Breast Implants a Factor
In November 2006, the FDA approved the return of silicone breast implants to the U.S. market.
Breast implants filled with silicone gel had been partially banned in the U.S. since 1992 because of controversy over health concerns if the implants ruptured and leaked. From 1992 until November 2006, women could only get silicone implants if saline-filled implants weren't an option.
The ASAPS is already seeing a rise in the use of silicone breast implants.
"The FDA approval of silicone breast implants in late 2006 seems to have made an impact, as silicone implants are up 18% from 2005," says ASAPS President James Stuzin, MD, in an ASAPS news release.
Women's Cosmetic Surgery
Middle-aged white women accounted for most cosmetic procedures done in 2006.
In 2006, 92% of the people who got cosmetic procedures were women. They got more than 10.5 million procedures, an increase of about 1% from 2007.
Here are women's top five cosmetic surgeries for 2006:
- Breast augmentation: 383,885 surgeries
- Liposuction: 350,420 surgeries
- Eyelid surgery: 182,397 surgeries
- Tummy tuck: 164,800 surgeries
- Breast reduction: 145,822 surgeries
Last year was the first time since 1997 that breast augmentation outpaced liposuction for women, Stuzin notes.
Here are women's top five nonsurgical procedures for 2006:
- Botox injection: 2.9 million procedures
- Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restalyne): 1.5 million procedures
- Laser hair removal: 1.3 million procedures
- Microdermabrasion: Nearly 922,000 procedures
- Sclerotherapy (for varicose veins and spider veins): More than 541,000 procedures
Cosmetic surgeries fell 9% for women, while nonsurgical procedures rose by 4%. Since 1997, women's cosmetic surgeries have risen 123% and nonsurgical procedures are up 749%.
Men's Cosmetic Surgery
Men got nearly a million cosmetic procedures in 2006, down 5% from 2005.
Here are men's top five cosmetic surgeries for 2006:
- Liposuction: 53,263 surgeries
- Nose reshaping (rhinoplasty): 33,143 surgeries
- Eyelid surgery: 27,602 surgeries
- Male breast reduction (gynecomastia): 23,670 surgeries
- Facelift: 14,051 surgeries
The top five nonsurgical procedures for men are as follows:
- Botox injection: 300,472 procedures
- Laser hair removal: 166,557 procedures
- Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restalyne): 73,634 procedures
- Microdermabrasion: 71,102 procedures
- Laser skin resurfacing: 48,451 procedures
Men's cosmetic surgery decreased by 9% and nonsurgical procedures fell 3% since 2005.
Since 1997, men's cosmetic surgeries are down 2% but nonsurgical cosmetic procedures for men rose 722% during that time, the ASAPS notes.
Teens and Plastic Surgery
People 18 and younger account for less than 2% of cosmetic procedures done in 2006.
Their top five cosmetic surgeries in 2006 are:
- Nose reshaping: 16,477 surgeries
- Cosmetic ear surgery (otoplasty): 10,555 surgeries
- Liposuction: 3,226 surgeries
- Breast augmentation: 3,087 surgeries
- Breast reduction (girls): 2,696
Here are the top five nonsurgical procedures for people 18 and younger in 2006:
- Laser hair removal: 59,650 procedures
- Microdermabrasion: 39,592 procedures
- Chemical peel: 11,864 procedures
- Botox injection: 7,915 procedures
- Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restalyne): 5,423 procedures