The Dry-Skin Workbook
5 Commandments of Great Skin
- Keep your moisturizers in plain sight. That way, you'll remember to use them quickly, before your face and body are completely dry.
- Eat some "good fat," even if you're on a diet. Skip unhealthy saturated fats (like butter) and reach for foods with essential fatty acids (like those found in salmon, nuts, flaxseed, and avocados). These healthy fats are core components of both lipids and sebum (your body's natural oils), says California-based dermatologist Howard Murad, M.D. They are also said to calm inflamed skin. Aim to get two to four servings a day.
- Learn to love sunscreen—year-round. Yes, you've heard it before. Now your skin wants you to listen. Solar rays disrupt the skin's barrier and decrease its ability to moisturize naturally. Enough said.
- Be a teetotaler. Many moisturizers contain fatty alcohols that are good for your skin, but the same can't be said for alcohol that comes in a bottle. Avoid its dehydrating, dulling effects by limiting yourself to two to three drinks a week.
- Drink your H 2 0—and retain it "What matters is the water you keep, not the water you drink," says Dr. Murad meaning that if your skin cells can't hold on to the water you consume, you could drink a lake and it wouldn't help. Strengthen your skin cells with nutrients like lecithin (in egg yolks and walnuts) and glucosamine (from a supplement); boost hydration by eating more water-rich fruits and veggies.
GHRI Test: The Best Antiaging Hand Cream
Nothing shows (or exaggerates) your age more than your hands. Your best defense is an antiaging hand cream, so the GH Research Institute tested four to see which gave the best results. With the help of Dr. Wechsler, we evaluated our volunteers' hands, then asked them to use cream on just one hand for four weeks. The results: Vaseline Intensive Care Age Redefining Hand Lotion ($4) was the most effective. The testers all said their treated hands looked younger than the untreated ones, and Dr. Wechsler agreed. Plus, volunteers liked its nongreasy feel.