Six essential tools for summer skin care continued...
Top daily sun protection product picks include:
• Eucerin Everyday Protection Face Lotion SPF 30 ($8.99/4 oz)
• Olay Complete All Day UV Defense Moisture Lotion ($10.99/6 oz)
• Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 15 ($11.49/4 oz)
2. Salicylic Acid Cleanser
Your cleanser can actually do more than just clean. When you wash your face with salicylic acid, a gentle exfoliator, you're treating past, present, and future skin issues. "Salicylic acid loosens dead skin cells so new ones replace them," Colbert says. "This turnover helps shed damage." Plus, ditching dead skin cells keeps your complexion clear and dries up excess oil to help prevent breakouts, he adds. One caution: Salicylic acid can make you more sensitive to the sun, so use it only at night.
Oily types can tolerate a salicylic cleanser once a day, but those with drier and more sensitive skin should limit use to once a week to avoid irritation.
Top cleanser product picks include:
• Biore Blemish-Fighting Ice Cleanser ($7.99/6.7 oz) has cooling menthol and 2% salicylic acid to keep you feeling fresh.
• Olay Total Effects Anti-Blemish Daily Cleanser ($7.49/5 oz) battles breakouts and wrinkles in one gentle formula.
• Pond's Dramatic Results Age-defying Cleansing Towelettes ($6.49/30 wipes) are premoistened, so you can keep them next to your bed for nights when you're too tired to wash with water.
3. Daily Antioxidant Serum
Serums are like the Altoids of skin care: Their nutrient-packed drops are curiously potent despite the small dose. "Serums are designed to be condensed and deliver high levels of the active ingredient in a very efficient way," says Francesca Fusco, assistant clinical professor of dermatology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City. She advises applying an antioxidant serum every morning, before you put on any other product. "Antioxidants absorb damage-causing free radicals and act like an extra layer of protection when worn under sunscreen," Fusco says.
"It's especially crucial that you include an antioxidant in your summer skin care routine since exposure to UV rays creates free radicals and no sunscreen can block all the rays."