9 Home Spa Makeovers for Body and Soul
Home Spa Recipe for Natural Hair Conditioner continued...
2 cups of coarsely ground coffee
1/2 cup raw sugar or sea salt
2-3 tablespoons massage oil (such as sunflower, jojoba, or apricot kernel oil)
Mix all ingredients together. Take a hot shower to moisten your skin and open pores. Using wide, circular motions, rub the scrub onto your skin with strong, even pressure. Shower off, pat skin dry, and apply a thin layer of your favorite body lotion. Then get ready to start your morning!
* Courtesy of Spa Index.Com and Spa Senjakala, Malaysia
Spa Treatment Shower Therapy
A long hot bath can be a dreamy way to relax and unwind. But what if your self-pampering time is limited, or, horror of horrors, you live in a house without a tub? Enter the aromatherapy shower, a simple technique that comes to the rescue of harried women who bathe standing up.
To try it yourself, take an extra washcloth, wet it, and scent with four or five droplets of your favorite essential oil. Tuck the washcloth into a corner on your shower floor, and let the water run hot for minute or two to steam up the room and disperse the scent. Then step out of your clothes and into a cloud of scented steam. Breathe deeply, exhilarating in the blissful smell.
Some tips on choosing oils: Citrus scents -- lemon, lime, grapefruit, tangerine and orange -- are wonderful mood lifters, as are essential oils of bergamot, rosemary, and cardamom. If you're more in need of mellowing out than pepping up, pick soothing scents like lavender, clay sage, sandalwood, chamomile, pine, and vetiver.
* Excerpted from Mom Spa by Jennifer Sander. Copyright Â© Fair Winds Press 2006.
Natural Eye De-Puffing Treatment
If your eyes are red and puffy from a long day spent squinting at the screen, lie down with your feet up and use one of the following treats to soothe and de-puff your precious peepers.
- Lay thinly sliced cucumber on your eyes.
- Use damp, used tea bags, or cotton squares dampened with cool tea.
- On top of the cucumber or tea compresses, lay an unopened bag of frozen peas over your eyes. This is an old trick from plastic surgeons to reduce swelling after eye surgery.
- After a good night's sleep, your eyes will be good as new!
*Courtesy of International Skin & Body Care, Redlands, Calif.