When They Leave the Nest
College represents a world of freedom, hard work, late nights, late mornings, new friends – and, potentially, binges on alcohol and unhealthy food. But children who have established good eating habits at home will be more likely to make smart food choices at college and avoid gaining the dreaded "freshman 15."
Here are some tips your daughter can use to help her make smart choices away from home:
- Keep a diary of food intake and physical activity.
- Don't skip meals, especially breakfast.
- Keep tabs on mindless eating while studying or watching television.
- Be careful in the dining halls where unlimited portions are hard to resist, especially desserts.
- Take a nutrition class.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Stock your dorm room with healthy snacks: low-fat yogurts, low-calorie drinks, and lite popcorn.
- Find ways to maintain fitness, perhaps by taking a class or joining a team