Women's Cosmetic Surgery continued...
Last year was the first time since 1997 that breast augmentation outpaced liposuction for women, Stuzin notes.
Here are women's top five nonsurgical procedures for 2006:
- Botox injection: 2.9 million procedures
- Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restalyne): 1.5 million procedures
- Laser hair removal: 1.3 million procedures
- Microdermabrasion: Nearly 922,000 procedures
- Sclerotherapy (for varicose veins and spider veins): More than 541,000 procedures
Cosmetic surgeries fell 9% for women, while nonsurgical procedures rose by 4%. Since 1997, women's cosmetic surgeries have risen 123% and nonsurgical procedures are up 749%.
Men's Cosmetic Surgery
Men got nearly a million cosmetic procedures in 2006, down 5% from 2005.
Here are men's top five cosmetic surgeries for 2006:
- Liposuction: 53,263 surgeries
- Nose reshaping (rhinoplasty): 33,143 surgeries
- Eyelid surgery: 27,602 surgeries
- Male breast reduction (gynecomastia): 23,670 surgeries
- Facelift: 14,051 surgeries
The top five nonsurgical procedures for men are as follows:
- Botox injection: 300,472 procedures
- Laser hair removal: 166,557 procedures
- Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restalyne): 73,634 procedures
- Microdermabrasion: 71,102 procedures
- Laser skin resurfacing: 48,451 procedures
Men's cosmetic surgery decreased by 9% and nonsurgical procedures fell 3% since 2005.
Since 1997, men's cosmetic surgeries are down 2% but nonsurgical cosmetic procedures for men rose 722% during that time, the ASAPS notes.
Teens and Plastic Surgery
People 18 and younger account for less than 2% of cosmetic procedures done in 2006.
Their top five cosmetic surgeries in 2006 are:
- Nose reshaping: 16,477 surgeries
- Cosmetic ear surgery (otoplasty): 10,555 surgeries
- Liposuction: 3,226 surgeries
- Breast augmentation: 3,087 surgeries
- Breast reduction (girls): 2,696
Here are the top five nonsurgical procedures for people 18 and younger in 2006:
- Laser hair removal: 59,650 procedures
- Microdermabrasion: 39,592 procedures
- Chemical peel: 11,864 procedures
- Botox injection: 7,915 procedures
- Hyaluronic acid (Hylaform, Restalyne): 5,423 procedures